Apartment and Multifamily Construction Loans
Multifamily & Apartment Construction and Development Financing
Construction financing is back again, and terms are more competitive than ever. For apartment construction loans, HUD is, as always, offering the most competitive fixed-rate, fully amortized, high-leverage, non-recourse financing, but as you already may know, those HUD 221(d)(4) deals come with a good amount of red tape and a long timeline (usually seven to 10 months to close).
Small banks are currently lending up to 65% of project cost at PRIME + 1.50% +/-; regionals are a bit more aggressive and lending at as low as LIBOR + 2.50%. The nice thing about bank construction loans is that they are available for most commercial property construction, including mixed use, office, retail, industrial, and more. They also allow you to take your finished/stabilized product and recapitalize once the project is complete with a cash-out refinance or sale, with limited or no prepayment penalty.
For multifamily properties, Fannie, Freddie, and CMBS offer unlimited cash out—up to 80% LTV depending on the particular scenario. HUD loans, although offering the highest leverage, do not generally allow for recapitalization (there is a lockout period followed by a hefty prepayment penalty). For commercial properties, life companies and banks offer comfortable permanent financing options with some level of recapitalization or earnouts.
Call (800) 567-9631 to speak with a multifamily construction loan specialist, or fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation.
Important Loan Points
- HUD loans are available for market-rate properties (not just affordable properties).
- Bank, hedge fund, life company, and other construction loans are available.
- HUD loans are non-recourse, including during the construction period.
- Fixed rates available for construction and permanent financing with HUD.
- 1.11 DSCR for affordable housing projects with HUD/FHA 221(d)(4).
- Small bank loan (under $4 million) rates start at Prime + 1.50%.
- Bank loans for larger construction projects start at LIBOR + 250 bps.
- Bank loans are generally full recourse during the construction period, with some offering burn-off options after c/o and stabilization.
Bank and HUD apartment construction loans are available. Get in touch with us and a multifamily construction loan specialist will reach out to you and discuss your options, including potential pricing, leverage, and timing.
Sample Construction Loan Terms for Multifamily and Commercial Property
Size: Generally $2 million and up
Amortization: Up to 40 years fixed and fully amortizing (with HUD FHA 221(d)(4))
Maximum LTC: 75% (85% with HUD for market-rate properties)
Rate: Starting from 3.00% interest only, floating
Maximum LTV: 75% (no maximum LTV with HUD 221(d)(4))
Minimum DSCR: 1.20